On behalf of Association THE SELF-PORTRAIT EXPERIENCE (SPEX) and its project EMOTIONAL REVOLUTION, we thank you for your interest in submitting your original photographic images (“Images”) and/or videos (“Videos”) to us. As part of the submission process, we ask that you include additional information about yourself and the Image or Video you are submitting with your submission. We appreciate your willingness to share your Images with us.
BY SUBMITTING PHOTOS TO US, YOU CONFIRM THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREED TO THESE PHOTO SUBMISSION TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Submissions may be made via email@example.com or in the upload page in this website.
Here are guidelines to consider when submitting your Images:
- Every Image must be your original work.
- You must have the permission for publication of all the persons appearing in the images.
- You must be at least 18 years old to submit Images to us.
- We accept Images in digital format only.
Emotional Revolution will not knowingly publish the following:
- Images depicting names or logos of institutions or companies.
- Copyrighted material.
- Images that contain elements that are unlawful or that we may not lawfully use or publish.
- Images that contain your name or nickname, any other symbol or device that identifies you to others, or a copyright legend.
- Images that contain personally identifiable information such as, but not limited to, email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses or other forms of contact information.
- Digital image files that contain anti-copying or tracking devices.
Terms Governing Your Submission of Images
By submitting to us your Images, you agree to the following terms:
We retain the right, at our discretion, to modify these Terms and Conditions. Your continued submission of Images to us constitutes your acceptance of all modified Terms and Conditions.
The non-profit association The Self-Portrait Experience (SPEX)
The Self-Portrait Experience (SPEX) is a non-profit association which brings together people from all over the globe who believe in the power of autobiographical art for individual transformation and social activism. Following are our principles, and below, our aims.
- Expressing happiness or joy in pictures is what social norms expect us to do and how we generally like to appear. Due to social expectations to always be ‘strong’, ‘happy’ and ‘nice to others’, from an early age we are being taught to disregard and suppress more painful emotions. But these emotions need expression and sharing, so our aim is to freely and harmlessly express what we feel in our self-portraits and art projects.
- Sharing emotions and needs through the publication of autobiographical images or projects can mirror back a mutual sense of humanity which supports identification rather than dissociation and alienation. Providing opportunities for such human connections is an encouragement to overcome social alienation and isolation and to draw social attention to human emotions and needs. The mirroring process can result in a useful training to liberate the empathic gaze.
- SPEX wants to put art to the service of real human needs, as a way to make art more personal, more urgent, more effective, more understandable, more universal. The aim of SPEX is to produce art for the use of, and in collaboration with the community, as in the Deweyian notion of ‘popular art’ accessible to everyone and to demonstrate that anyone can take part in a creative process and even prepared/guided to produce artworks.
- Why is SPEX transformative? Firstly, transforming emotions into artworks is a catalytic and liberating quality of the unconscious creative process in SPEX, which allows us to improve our emotional state. Secondly, working on the multiple perceptions of the images with SPEX criteria of perception is empowering because it allows us to broaden our self-perception and the perception of others, to discover unknown potential, to overcome self-judgement and to fulfil our mission and goals. Thirdly, the publication of our autobiographical images and projects works as an insurrection of subjugated knowledges (Foucault, 1977), which can inspire others to do likewise, and this is even more empowering.
- Stigmatised people, during recovery from addiction or mental health issues, or in the process of desistance from crime, can overcome self-stigma with SPEX by discovering unknown potential which allows them to avoid the internalisation of stigma. When their self-image is empowered, they can fight stigmatisation by sharing this process to others. Both recovery and desistance involve a radical transformation of identity which influences both self-image and public image. Using SPEX, we “Recoverists” can inspire others to reconstruct their identity after critical or painful times.
Our aims (as evidenced in our bylaws):
- To stimulate and promote the research and the dissemination of autobiographical art practices using photography and video, as instruments for individual and social transformation, through the SPEX dispositive.
- To hold SPEX workshops using photography and video as instruments for individual and social transformation, in the following contexts: Penitentiary centres, mental health facilities, addiction recovery facilities, youth centres, day centres for the ageing, hospitals and institutes for the severely ill and other social institutions. Cultural centres, museums, galleries, universities, academies, high schools, psychotherapy and art-therapy institutes, and other cultural and educational facilities. Private individuals, the general public and companies.
- To organize and participate in contemporary art exhibitions, in Switzerland and the rest of the world.
- To organize and participate in autobiographical art events, as an instrument for individual and social transformation.
- To organize and participate in research projects on autobiographical art as an instrument for individual and social transformation.
- To publish books and articles on print and/or digital format on autobiographical art as an instrument for individual and social transformation.
- To cooperate with other associations, public or private institutions to stimulate and promote the research and the dissemination of autobiographical art as an instrument for individual and social transformation.
License to Us
SPEX thereby certifies that all the uses of your Images and Videos by SPEX and its project EMOTIONAL REVOLUTION, will always cohere with the above aims, principles, mission and values.
Considering the above, you grant us, without any compensation of any kind to you or others, the non-exclusive right and license to use, copy, distribute, display, publish, perform, modify, edit, adapt, translate, transmit, create derivative works from, and otherwise use all Images and Videos in any form, medium or technology that we elect, whether now or in the future, exclusively by THE SELF-PORTRAIT EXPERIENCE (SPEX), its founding director Cristina Nuñez, the project EMOTIONAL REVOLUTION and other projects made and promoted by SPEX. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that, without further approval from you, we may exercise the rights you grant us herein for any and all purposes we deem appropriate for our cause, including, without limitation, for the promotion, marketing, and publicizing of SPEX workshops, exhibitions and other cultural services. We may, for example, use and publish the Images and Videos on our website, in our print, broadcast and digital advertisements, in our marketing materials, and in connection with our promotional events. The right and license you grant us is perpetual, royalty-free, unrestricted and worldwide, without your further consent. It is irrevocable, but you grant us one year from the date of your revocation letter, to delete your Images and/or Videos from our website and other uses. You understand and agree that we have the option, but not the obligation, to use the Image and/or Video you submit to us, and that if we exercise our license rights, we may also use your User Information in conjunction with such Images and Videos.
Your Submissions of Images and User Information
By submitting Images, Videos or User Information to us, your further agree that:
_We may moderate the website, review the Images, Videos and User Information, and decide in our sole discretion whether to display or otherwise use your Images.
_We may remove your Images, Videos and User Information at any time without notice to you.
_We may edit your Images, Videos and User Information in our sole discretion for suitability, brevity, clarity, grammar, compliance with our rules and any other purpose we deem appropriate.
_You are solely responsible for your Images, Videos and User Information and the consequences of submitting them to us and our use thereof as permitted by these terms.
_You acknowledge that you were not and will not be compensated or granted any consideration by us or any third party in exchange for our use of your Images/Videos or the use of your Images/Videos by parties we authorize to use them.
_You understand that we are not responsible for any information that may be gathered or used by any third party providing or affiliated with providing the email service we use to accept Image and Video submissions.
You affirm, represent and warrant to us:
_You are at least 18 years old.
_The User Information you provide to us true and accurate.
_You haven’t impersonated any person or falsely stated or misrepresented your affiliation with a person or entity.
_You own or have all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and submit to us the Images, Videos and User Information and to authorize us to use the Images, Videos and User Information as expressed in these Terms and Conditions.
_Your agreement to these Terms and Conditions does not in any way conflict with any existing legal agreement or commitment on your part to any third party.
_Your images and User Information do not embody, reflect or reveal any confidential information and that we are not obligated to treat them as confidential.
You will not submit Images, Videos or User Information that:
_Is false, misleading, or inaccurate.
_Is not appropriate for a public forum (e.g., it is defamatory, hateful, harassing, derogatory, demeaning, threatening, abusive, pornographic, racially or religiously biased or otherwise offensive or objectionable).
_Infringes or otherwise violates the rights of any third party, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, service mark, privacy rights, publicity rights or other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
_Violates any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation.
_Includes any information that references other websites, addresses, email addresses, contact information or phone numbers.
_Contains any anti-copying devices, tracking devices, computer viruses, worms or other potentially damaging computer programs or files.
Your Submission of Your Email Address
You agree that we and our third party service providers may use your email address to contact you about your Images and Videos and for other administrative purposes related to your obligations and our rights set forth in these Terms and Conditions.
Ownership of Copyright
The website contains material that is owned by or licensed to us. You may not copy, reproduce, download, upload, post distribute, republish, retransmit, perform or modify in any way any of the material on this Website, including without limitation, any images or written material without our prior written permission. All rights and licenses not expressly granted to you in these terms are reserved to us.
Exclusion of Liability
We make no representations or warranties, express or implied, about your submission of Images, Videos or User Information. We are not liable to you or any third party in any way for your submission of Images, Videos or User Information. To the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, we disclaim all warranties, express or implied, including implied warranties or merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title accuracy and non-infringement. We do not warrant that the website or the material contained or referred to on it are error-free or that errors will be corrected, or that the website or the server from which it is run or any of our affiliated companies or affiliated individuals or our licensees or their affiliated persons be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages or expenses of any kind (including without limitation lost profits, damages arising from lost data, computer viruses, deletion of files, business interruption or personal injury or health problems) arising out of or in any way connected with the use of our website or the material or content contained or referred to on it, or for any information obtained through our website or us, whether such damages are based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. If you are dissatisfied with any material or content on this website, or with any of these Terms and Conditions, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using this website. We reserve the right to change or discontinue at any time any aspect or feature of this website. The above limitation may not apply to you because some jurisdictions do not permit the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold us harmless from any and all claims, suits, allegations, liabilities, damages, penalties, fines, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, related to or arising out of any actual or alleged violation of these terms. We will provide notice to you of any such claim, suit or proceeding at the email address that you submit to us with your Images and shall reasonably cooperate with you, at your expense, in your defense of any such claim, suit or proceeding.
We may terminate your right to submit Images and/or Videos at any time without notice. However, such termination shall only apply to your right to submit Images and/or Videos and shall not in any other way terminate or limit any other provision of these terms, all of which shall survive such termination of your right to submit Images and/or Videos.
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement and understanding between you and us as to your submission of Images, Videos and User Information and our use of Images, Videos and User Information as set out in these Terms and Conditions. Any and all prior or contemporaneous communications and/or proposals are superseded. These Terms and Conditions are severable, and in the event any provision is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability shall not in any way affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions, which shall remain in full force and effect. A printed version of these Terms and Conditions shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to submission of Images or User Information to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.
These terms shall be governed by the laws of Canton Ticino, Switzerland without giving effect to its conflicts of law principals, and venue shall be in the state or federal courts located in Lugano, Switzerland.